Mark(HKS EJ20) 2005 STi - Socal Subaru Forum For SoCal Subaru Enthusiasts: SoCalSubies.com
Join Now  
SoCal Subies Forum SoCal Subies Facebook
SoCal Subies Twitter
Coming Soon
SoCal Subies YouTube

Welcome to SoCalSubies.com - The world's largest Subaru forum for Southern California Subaru enthusiasts!
Welcome to SoCalSubies.com: The premiere SoCal Subaru Forum.

You are currently viewing SoCalSubies.com as a guest, which limits your ability to access discussions, ask technical questions, and interact with other local Subaru enthusiasts.Join for free today and unlock full access to post topics, interact with other enthusiasts via the SoCalSubies live chatbox, search discussions, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, share content, and access many other special features. Join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.
* Registered users of the site do not see this welcome message.

Old 09-12-2011, 07:00 PM   #1
HKS EJ20
Ultra Member

Fav Mod: its stock
SoCalSubies Addict since: Sep 2009

HKS EJ20 is progressing nicely
Default Mark(HKS EJ20) 2005 STi

Sup guys, I guess ill start this journal to give you guys a short history of my subie life. i like to type alot, so forgive me if this first entry is long......

Actually, it started when I picked up a PSM 2004 WRX wagon around 2008. At the time I had just got rid of a pristine 92 3000GT VR4 that was great, but getting a little long in the tooth to keep up. The WRX had about 104k miles on the clock when i picked it up, but it was immaculate. And I really mean immaculate. Heres some pictures I took shortly after picking it up. Zero dings, no scratches, interior was perfect.

it was a strong car and everything, bone stock, but that gets old pretty quick. a friend of mine then uploaded a ots stage1 reflash. it actually made a pretty good difference. I then proceeded to install an SPT intake and Invidia G200 catback, a set of K-sport Coilovers, Whiteline sways and a JDM Spec-C front STB and Cusco Rear STB. After that, I was able to find a clean set of Advan RG wheels. it was starting to come out pretty nice:

WRX Wagon before I removed all aftermarket parts and sold it-

at that point i was almost going to go stage2 and beyond, but i started to research STi's more and more. So, instead of putting more and more money into the WRX, I sold all the parts i had on it, sold the car, and then started looking for an STi. I ended up finding an '05 CGM STi, and after test driving it, knew that (for me) it would be a good base to build upon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSC2475-3.jpg
Views:	2562
Size:	832.7 KB
ID:	3165  

Last edited by HKS EJ20; 06-26-2013 at 09:00 PM..
HKS EJ20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 07:00 PM   #2
HKS EJ20
Ultra Member

The STi was nearly stock when i got it, only having a set of JDM Pink STi springs. The ride was harsh as hell, but i loved the power, handling, and braking it had out of the box. heres a couple pictures of it the day i brought it home. of course i had to go straight to mulholland to have some fun with it.

shortly afterwards the original oem clutch gave up the ghost (65k miles) so the flywheel was replaced with a new oem flywheel and clutch with a new oem exedy clutch kit. at the same time the trans fluid was replaced with motul 300. shifts are super smooth, both cold and once completely warmed up.

after a couple of months of getting myself familiar with the car I installed a Cobb catted downpipe and Apexi N1 catback. Left the stock air intake, and everything else. I then had it protuned at yimisport- 277whp/318tq. baseline numbers were 234whp/243tq. HUGE difference.

heres a vid during the tune
8NsiphQ5kKI

this left the car with oem drivability and reliability, and ive been super happy with the stage2 setup for quite awhile. done a couple trackdays and autox with it. oh, and I installed Falken Azenis RT615k 255/40 tires too. I definitely recommend these if you do any kind of performance driving.

earlier this year the upper radiator hose conveniently blew as i was coming home, right as i pulled into my driveway. samco replacements were installed without issue, and they look quite nice and will last a long time. at the same time I installed a perrin inlet as the oem was showing its age and fell apart as i removed it.

fast forward to about a month ago (august 2011) when I wanted to add more goodies to the car. well, shortly after i made that decision the power steering pump was leaking like mad, so i had to replace that and get that fault out of the way. fortunately replacing it wasn't hard at all, and i was back on track.

since I wanted the car to maintain its daily driver status, and also keep its quick spool, I decided on a Tomei ARMS M7960 turbo. To supplement this will be DW 850cc injectors, DW 300lph fuel pump, Grimmspeed EBCS, APS 70mm Big Maf CAI, and of course a retune. Also going with this new setup is a Hyperflow TMIC, which is already currently installed. Right now the last thing i actually need to buy will be the injectors. Everything else is sitting in my room, patiently waiting. My power goal is at least 320whp. Yes, its conservative, but i want that as a trackday ready tune, not something that puts out numbers only.

As far as wheels and suspension, the car is sitting on 17x10 Enkei RPF1 wheels (which were on backorder for a month!), using the same Falken 255/40's, and Tein SS-P coilovers. Ive been extremely happy with this setup, and did not get them to be "hellaflush/stanced", though they are pretty wide. Of course to fit them, the rear fenders had to be pulled quite a bit, and coilovers were absolutely necessary for inner clearance. So far ive been lucky with the rear plastic fender garnishes not popping off The setup has been proven to be functional as im not shy to take it out to any canyon run or track day since the wheel change. Even the alignment is within OEM spec, none of that "4-5 degrees of negative camber just to fit a wheel". With everything ive done to the car so far, i didn't want anything to affect drivability or everyday use.

Tein SS-P's

the pictures below were taken before the rear fender pull, and also before the Tomei M7960 was installed.

just to add, today 9/12/11 i changed the rear diff fluid. i have no idea what was in there before, but it wasn't completely blackened. fresh motul 90PA was added, and my (after a long drive) diff chatter is completely gone. good stuff.

Last edited by HKS EJ20; 06-26-2013 at 08:59 PM..
Old 09-12-2011, 07:05 PM   #3
skizdopeinee

Car: Plasma Blue Pearl 11 STI
Fav Mod: acessport
SoCalSubies Addict since: Aug 2011

skizdopeinee is progressing nicely

nice dude!
skizdopeinee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 07:06 PM   #4
dohtem8
Elite Member

Car: WRB GC8 Version 6
Fav Mod: The Driver
SoCalSubies Addict since: Feb 2009

dohtem8 is learning the ropes

nice stuff
Old 09-12-2011, 07:14 PM   #5
bullit

Fav Mod: Notorious Misfire CEL
SoCalSubies Addict since: Feb 2010

bullit is progressing nicely

Nice wagon . Lets see that STI
Old 09-12-2011, 08:31 PM   #6
geo+subie

Fav Mod: Exhaust!
SoCalSubies Addict since: Aug 2011

geo+subie is learning the ropes

damnnn good looking sti man!!! im hella jelly!!!!
geo+subie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 09:12 PM   #7
nolanator
Ultra Member

Fav Mod: alcohol injection
SoCalSubies Addict since: Jul 2009

nolanator is setting a good example

doin it real big, Mark!!!
nolanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 09:17 PM   #8
Sube Doo
Elite Member

Fav Mod: Funtional
SoCalSubies Addict since: Jul 2009

Sube Doo is setting a good example

Nice journal, STi and story...gotta love the RPF1s..I run the 18x8 (wish it was wider lol) in gold.

How do you like those Falkens?
Old 09-12-2011, 09:55 PM   #9
HKS EJ20
Ultra Member

lol ryan. not real big if anything i think my setup is super conservative. to me, real big would be: rotated mount, external WG vented to atmosphere, big ass FMIC like yours, lol, and all that cool stuff. i have a feeling, with my luck, that i might not even make the good power that your sweet wagon has.

the falkens are awesome. they actually are wearing quite well, something i didn't expect- for only having a 200 treadwear rating. they've been on almost a year and still have lots of life left. and thats daily driven, a track day, an autox, and canyon runs every other weekend or so. keep your tire pressures up, your alignment in-check, and you'll be happy with them. they do get a little greasy towards the end of a 20minute open track session, but that was when i had my tire pressures a couple PSI too low. they're also not cheap, unfortunately. i'd definitely get another set once these are gone unless falken supersedes them with something else. ive considered dunlop starspecs, but love the falken RT615K tread pattern too much to go with anything else. the tread sipes remind me of roadrace sportbike tires.

thanks for the positive feedback guys

Last edited by HKS EJ20; 09-12-2011 at 10:03 PM..
Old 09-12-2011, 10:55 PM   #10
Oce420
Elite Member

Fav Mod: Buying the car brand new
SoCalSubies Addict since: Mar 2008

Oce420 is progressing nicely

Looks really good!!! Nice STi man!
Oce420 is offline   Reply With Quote